Great brisket for the smoker.
- 7-9 lb packer (untrimmed) Brisket
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Rinse brisket under cold water and pat dry with paper towel
- Trim the fat cap so only one-eighth to one quarter of the fat remains
- Use a sharp knife to make a crosshatch pattern in the remaining fat cap by cutting through the fat down to the meat
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and garlic powder over the entire brisket
- Set the brisket aside for 30-45 minutes
- Preheat smoker to 225°F to 240°F.
- Place the brisket in a disposable aluminum pan, fat side up, and set pan on smoker grate
- Cook for four hours, then flip it fat cap down.
- Flip brisket every 2 hours
- At 4 hour mark, insert digital thermometer probe